grimes sisters dies: Who Murdered the Grimes Sisters?

Sixty years ago, Barbara and Patricia Grimes, then ages 12 and 15, blithely left their Chicago home to catch Elvis Presley in Love Me Tender at the Brighton Theatre.

After Elvis was shot and killed in the heartbreaking finale, the audience dispersed, and the Grimes girls vanished.

Twenty-five agonising days passed. In a January 11, 1957 Chicago Daily Tribune (now the Chicago Tribune) article, their mother Lorretta Grimes begged for the girls to call her if they were being held.

Their naked remains, which had not been subjected to any lethal violence, were discovered on January 22, 1957, in a field in a nearby suburb.

The working-class Catholic neighbourhood where the girls lived and Chicagoans as a whole were shocked by the finding. Law enforcement moved into overdrive in response to the public’s desire for answers, interrogating numerous people and pressing charges—only to later dismiss them due to a lack of evidence as authorities openly quarrelled.

The infamous enigma is now only a distant memory in the annals of the city. To be sure, the case is “still an open murder investigation,” according to a spokeswoman for Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office, who talked to A&E True Crime. “Our detectives work it as leads come in,” adds deputy press secretary Matthew Walberg.

Like many other bobbysoxers in the 1950s, Barbara and Patricia were ardent Elvis Presley admirers. They begged their mother to let them go to the evening show at the adjacent theatre, despite having seen Love Me Tender ten times. It was just a quick bus ride away. On the holiday of December 28, 1956, Lorretta granted her consent.

The “serious” one was Barbara, a high school sophomore with a beaming grin, while Patricia, also known as “Petey,” was an outgoing seventh-grader. The two sisters were also good friends, according to Melanie Forgala, a former next-door neighbour.

Lorretta Grimes contacted the police after the couple didn’t show up by midnight.

Tips flooded in as police combed the city. According to Tamara Shaffer’s book Murder Gone Cold, employees at a Chicago five-and-dime store were certain they saw Barbara and Patricia on January 3, 1957, listening to Elvis recordings with two sailors.

On January 9, 1957, a Minnesota woman who was travelling claimed to have encountered the sisters in the lavatory of a Nashville bus station.

This story gained media attention and spread rumours that the girls were travelling to Presley’s hometown of Memphis. “If you are good Presley fans, you’ll go home and ease your mother’s worries,” the singer himself said in a statement.

Joseph, the ex-husband of Lorretta Grimes, and Lorretta believed that their daughters were in danger. According to Lorretta Grimes, “They are not the type of girls to run away,” as reported in Murder Gone Cold.

Dominic Pacyga, an emeritus history professor at Columbia College from Chicago, was seven years old when the sisters vanished. Everyone had it on their minds, according to Pacyga, who lived close to the Grimes’ neighbourhood.

Don’t speak to Strangers signs were posted in storefront windows, the man tells A&E True Crime.

On January 22, 1957, a passing vehicle near Willow Springs, a southwest suburb, noticed what appeared to be a mannequin off the bridge over Devil’s Creek. When authorities arrived, they discovered the girls’ bodies lying on the cold ground.

According to Joseph Grimes, who was quoted in a January 23, 1957 Chicago Daily Tribune article, “I tried to tell police my daughters didn’t run away, but they didn’t listen to me.”

According to Harry Glos, the principal investigator for Cook County Coroner Walter McCarron, Barbara’s face showed bruises and scars, while Patricia had multiple small puncture wounds in her chest that may have been caused by an ice pick.

However, a preliminary examination revealed that the girls’ deaths were caused by exposure to subfreezing temperatures.

The lack of traumatic violence proof in the anticlimactic conclusion increased the mystery and put further strain on the investigators.

Again, members of the public offered advice. This included a cab driver’s account of seeing the sisters on December 30, 1956, with two guys, one of whom supposedly had sideburns resembling Elvis, at a skid row cafe on Chicago’s impoverished Madison Street.

Also Read: Holly Piirainen cause of death

Leave a Comment