Evgeny Stepanovich kobytev: A soldier’s face after four years of war, 1941-1945

On December 25, 1910, in the Altai village. He graduated from high school with a pedagogical bent in 1927 and now works as a teacher in a rural school at the age of sixteen. Kobitev joins OMCI codpropranolol in 1929, and later teaches art at the Krasnoyarsk Pedagogical College named after M. Gorky. He attended the East Siberian Regional Artists Congress in 1933. The creative goal of further study came fulfilled in 1936, when he entered the Kyiv State Art Institute on the Komsomol. A remarkable student’s work is discovered, and in 1939 he participated in an all-Union show of young artists. 

He graduated with honours from the Art Institute in 1941… All of the fantasies come to an end on June 22, when Hitler’s planes begin to pound Georgia in the early hours of the war. The artist joins the army and becomes a fighter 8 battery of the 3rd division 821-th artillery unit. The regiment that battled Evgeny Stepanovich Kobitev had to preserve Pripyat, a tiny town located between Kiev and Kharkov. 

Evgeny Stepanovich Kobytev was born in the Altai village on December 25, 1910. He worked as a teacher in Krasnoyarsk’s rural areas after graduating from pedagogical school.

His interest was painting, particularly portraits and landscapes from everyday life. In 1936, he began studies at the Kyiv State Art Institute in Ukraine, fulfilling his desire of furthering his artistic education.

In 1941, he graduated from the art institute with honours and was ready to embark on a new artistic career. All of his hopes, however, were dashed on June 22, 1941, when Nazi Germany attacked the Soviet Union.

The new artist voluntarily became a soldier and enlisted in one of the Red Army’s artillery regiments. The unit was fighting a difficult war to protect Pripyat, a small town located between Kyiv and Kharkiv.

Kobytov was wounded in the leg and taken prisoner of war in September 1941. He ended up in the notorious German concentration camp known as “Khorol pit” (Dulag #160), which operated out of Khorol. In this camp, around 90,000 prisoners of war and civilians died.

The Khorol camp, built on the premises of what used to be a brick factory, featured only one barracks, which was half-rotten and sat on posts that were tilting to one side. It was the only place to go away from the October rains and storms.

Only a few of the sixty thousand convicts were able to fit inside. The remainder lacked barracks. People were squeezed up against each other in the barracks. They were drenched in sweat and gasping from the stink and vapours.

In 1943, Kobytev escaped from captivity and rejoined the Red Army. He took part in a variety of combat actions in Ukraine, Moldova, Poland, and Germany.

He was given the Hero of the Soviet Union medal after the war for his outstanding military service during the fights for the liberation of Smila and Korsun in Ukraine.

However, the High Command declined to grant him the Victory over Germany medal since his military career had been “spoiled” by his time as a POW.

In the Second World War, Kobytev served in the Soviet Red Arm

Kobytev traded in his paintbrushes and joined the Red Army as a gunner to repel the invasion.

Initially cooperating with Hitler’s Nazi Party, the Soviet Union invaded Poland from the east on September 1, 1939, 17 days after Nazi Germany had done so from the west. However, it was decided that the Soviet invasion of Poland was a military operation rather than an official declaration of war against Poland.

For the first few years of the Second World War, it did, however, align the Soviet Union with the Axis countries. After Hitler began Operation Barbarossa in June 1941, the Soviet Union allied with the Allies.

Kobytev fought as a gunner in the 821st artillery regiment during the Second World War, but he was injured in action and taken prisoner of war (PoW).

Evgeny Stepanovich Kobytev: What happened to him?

The Second World War did not end in Evgeny Stepanovich Kobytev’s death. In actuality, he managed to flee the “Khorol Pit” in 1943.

Kobytev re-joined the Red Army and began taking part in military actions in Germany, Poland, Ukraine, and Moldova. According to Russian Cultural Archives, he served as a junior sergeant in the 140th Reserve Rifle Regiment.

On January 29, 1973, Evgeny Stepanovich Kobytev passed away in Krasnoyarsk, not far from where he was born. He had only recently turned 62.

Leave a Comment